Time to kick up my heels and get a bit crazy. Things have been a little too serious ’round here lately and I’m ready for an all out silly laugh out loud (or at me) poke fun tirade like I promised in my first post How did I get here?
To start off the fun, I refer you to this little gem I came across when I first starting blogging from Joe Saul-Sehy at Stacking Benjamins (go check out the picture, it made me LOL):
Well y’all know we have averted this D-word (so far – touch wood, touch my head, turn around three times fast, don’t step on a crack – hey OCD runs in my family, I’m allowed to do this!) but that doesn’t mean we didn’t and still do come across many delicate money moments.
You may have your own situations you can recall. Give yourself 2 points for every item you can relate to on this list!
Couples Money Conversations You Want to Avoid
- You spent how much at Future Shop and for what?! 😕
- The car repairs from your accident are going to cost $650. No more pedicures for the next 7 years. 😦
- Honey, you know I love your homemade bean soup, but can we just have some meat after 3 days? 😎
- You know how the bumper on the truck is starting to rust? Well I found a good deal on a replacement at a car parts dealer for $150….. Oh ya, I forgot to tell you, I dented the bumper the other day in a parking lot. 😳
- I need $20 cash for my annual membership dues. “I gave you $20 last month.” Oh yeah…. 😐
- I got a great deal on salad dressings, they were on sale for $1/each so they’ll last all summer. “Did you look at the expiry date?” Ya, they’re good until Dec 6. “Um, no, that is Jun 12”. 😥
- Did you get your hair cut? “No, I just brushed it differently”. You should get your hair cut. 😉
- I’m so happy that Dairy Queen Customer Appreciation Days falls right around S’s birthday. I got her a 50% off birthday cake. “Um, she’s the kid who doesn’t like ice cream cakes”. 😥
- Oh, look at the price of gas here, we should fill up. “Oh, no, they’ll be cheap ones once we get out of the city”. I told you we should have filled up. 😡
- Did you deposit your cheque? “Ooops ….” 😮
- I have a surprise when I pick you up from the airport. Look for a white truck. 👿
Now I’m not saying that any of the above conversations happened in Debt Debs’ household and I’m not saying they didn’t, but since I pretty much tell it like it is on this blog, you know there’s at least an element of truth in every one. :snarky eye roll: Except for #11, that is 120% true. He bought a truck when I was out of town on business without my knowledge or even discussion. *I see your mouth gaping open* But we’ve moved on from that and keep on rollin’. 😀
Next Topic – Time for Your Input
Ahem, in other news, I’ve got a lot of things on my Financial To Do List and having trouble
finding time prioritizing for what I should work on first. I’m gonna let you vote on what you think my priorities should be. And then I’m gonna do whatever I feel like. Ha ha ha. Not not really, I will heed your advices very carefully, and then I will do whatever I feel like think best.
I’m probably forgetting things so feel free to add your own. Also, some things are meant to build on another thing, so for example, I kinda have to do 1 before 2 and 2 before 3, for example. Others are completely unrelated. So here’s the list:
- Create a spreadsheet of all my investments in my retirement portfolio and start tracking the stock prices, EPS and dividend payments daily.
- Add to the list potential other buys and track and understand their metrics to determine if and when I should acquire.
- Open a self-directed stock account and move all of the equities in my retirement portfolio there, making all future decisions myself.
- Figure out how to get my grocery budget down from $800 / month (for three people).
- Move my blog to a self-hosted site.
- Take steps to monetize blog.
- Cut the freakin’ cable and save $83.56/month minus the cost of a good quality digital antenna.
- Fill out an application at Shopper’s Drug Mart for a job starting in September.
I felt like a fish flopping around on the boat deck, as wrote the above list. You can tell I’m floundering a bit, ay? I’m gonna put the above in a poll format too, because I like techy things. You can either vote in the poll, put your answers in the comments or do both. No pressure. Do whatever you want. Or not. But if you want me to beg …. pleeeeeaaaazzzze tell me what you think I should do.
I very much appreciate your inputs!!
Call me Flounder. (But call me.)
Random useless bonus question: What would you prefer to be called pretty or cute?
Images courtesy of flickr.com
Couple Arguing / Erin Nekervis
Flounder Fish / Steve Jurvetson
Flounder Stuffed Animal /The Conmunity – Pop Culture Geek – Doug Kline