This will be the first in a series of Wednesday posts if I can get my act together. I want to write straight from the heart, even if my posts may be strange and quirky. I pinky swear that they will still be personal finance related, with emphasis on the personal.
Where’s My MOJO?
Ya, so just over a month in and I haven’t found my groove yet to say that I’m comfortable with this blogging thing. Lots to learn and lots to think about. Here’s my random thoughts on this topic:
devouringreading lots of blogs which helps me to decide how I want to define my blog content. Why reinvent the wheel? You all have lots of great stuff that I can’t begin to replace, nor do I want to. (aka I need all that info, baby, if I’m gonna learn how to get things right, one freakin’ payment at a time) Smiling at you here, Shannon @ Financially Blonde as an excellent example of many!
- Researching and then writing about financial topics that I’m not familiar with takes time. But if it’s something I need to know more about, it’s a good way to assimilate the information in my head. Hoping it will help someone else to get through what can be rather dry topics, I want to try to put a fun spin on them (otherwise I may never get through them, LOL).
- I want to have some personal content in some of my posts too. By that, I don’t just mean financial vomiting of my numbers (although I must confess I love reading those posts from y’all), but also some relationship, psychological, spiritual and emotional divulsion. Here’s hoping I can put it all out there. Be gentle or smack me, your call.
- Oh.my.blog, I almost forgot about it when I got totally distracted reading all the PF blogs I could find. I read and commented, and commented and read (that’s always fun, write a random comment and then read the post to see how relevant your comment was…. kidding… totally kidding. I signed up for everyone’s posts and comments and now I can’t find my inbox. Has anyone seen it? No, I’m serious now… I can’t keep up with the emails and for an detail oriented perfectionist, this is rather disturbing. I think, I’m about two weeks from Sunday before I can dig out. I may have to blow up my inbox, which means I’ll probably start to cry. Please pass the tissues.
- OK, so what’s the secret to commenting – leaving comments, follow-up comments, reading comments, the whole shebang? I like to read all the comments, and I love to see the responses to my comments. However, my email does not return the affection. So I’m thinking of doing the following: leaving the post open as a tab and then checking later if my comment has been responded to.
Tell me how I can manage this so I don’t dieStrategies gratefully appreciated.
- I got busy with social media, well mostly Twitter, since Facebook is a bust (as everyone reports). Plus I can’t invite all my FB friends because I blog incognito (like my new sunglasses 😎 ?) I’ve started also some Pinterest boards, namely Frugal Living, Investing Tips, Personal Finance Blogs, Favourite Blog Posts I’ve Read, Side Income Ideas and Blogging Tips. This is how I’m going to organize myself, because as I said, my email is dying a quick death… plus I like pictures.
- So what started out as an a’tude of I’ll blog when I feel like it, and was 2-3 times per week, has dwindled to a paltry once on Saturday (sounds like my sex life used to be, don’t ask how it is now). I wanted to blog adhoc – it suited my personality, but when Dr. Phil found me crying in the corner and asked me “How’s that working for ya?” I had to admit that I need to find a balancing act (or join the carnival). So, Wed and Sat it is folks! For now… until I change it….. with no warning… ha!
What’s in a Blog Name?
So one of those nights when I was voraciously eating blogs, I came across a post late, late one night that got me panicked. Can’t find the post now … I guess that’s one of the tricks of the trade I haven’t learned yet.
Anyhoo, I used to blog under the wordpress free domain site. Well this post talked about people who buy up domain names so that if I later wanted to have my own domain name debtdebs.com instead of email@example.com, I might not be able to. Something about people buying domain names and holding for ransom. Internet domain piracy!
Well, I had hummed and hawed about paying $18 to buy the domain name (which later turned out to be $26 for some reason), but I whipped out my credit card right quick at 3 a.m. while my husband slept soundly beside me. He was none the wiser. Not that it mattered, because I’m the watcher of the money pots these days.
I’ve been thinking about writing this sort of post for awhile but Addison @ Cashville Skyline inspired me to get ‘er done with Have You Conducted a Productivity Audit? You should go check out her spreadsheet analyzing her day. I got all warm and goopy feeling when I saw it.
Any words of wisdom say ye?